[OpenAFS-devel] Problems with shutting down afsd - revisited

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 27 May 2001 21:11:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 27 May 2001, Markus Alt wrote:

> I haven't tried it so far, but I can imagine at least two problems with
> that:
>
> 1. If I leave AFS running although I shut the network down and reconnect
> the machine the next morning, how long will it take until the AFS client
> recovers? And will it recover at all after such a "long" period of
> network outage?

My laptop has a 1.0.4 client pointed at the 1.0.4 server in my house. I
walk off the network, then come back hours later, rejoin the network, says
fs checks, and I'm back in business.

> 2. More severe: As I usually also have AFS directories in my $PATH,
> would working with a still running AFS client but no network connection
> be possible? In other words: Wouldn't I get quite long, annoying
> timeouts each time I e.g. try to expand a file or command name in the
> shell (as it also tries to look into the AFS dirs)?
>
> That's why I'd rather have a "clean" solution like I had with kernel 2.2
> - or disconnected AFS! Ah, what did you say, when it will be ready ...?
> ;-)

What exactly broke between 2.2 and 2.4? Nothing did from my perspective;
What am I not doing that you are?

-D