[OpenAFS-devel] Problems with shutting down afsd - revisited

aeneous@speakeasy.org aeneous@speakeasy.org
Sun, 27 May 2001 20:14:04 -0400

>   1. If I leave AFS running although I shut the network down and reconnect
>   the machine the next morning, how long will it take until the AFS client
>   recovers?
>
> Until you do "fs checks -all".  Put this in the same script you use to bring
> up the network.

Or a couple of minutes elapse. The cache manager periodically pings "down"
servers to see if they're back up.

>   And will it recover at all after such a "long" period of
>   network outage?
>
> Yes, no problem.

Ditto.

>   2... Wouldn't I get quite long, annoying
>   timeouts each time I e.g. try to expand a file or command name in the
>   shell (as it also tries to look into the AFS dirs)?
>
> I think you might, but as I said, we can fix that.  Afs should fail
> immediately on any access if you have no network.

Once the cache manager has marked all the servers as down, then any accesses to /afs will fail immediately.

Markus, you should really try just leaving AFS running.  It will probably work better than you think.