[OpenAFS-devel] 2.4.2-2 kernel under RH7.1 makes afs instable

Kuba Ober kuba@mareimbrium.org
Fri, 25 May 2001 14:14:53 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently running openafs-1.0.4 release CLIENT under redhat 7.0 2.2.17
kernel (self-compiled module) w/o problems.
However, both self-compiled and stock kernel modules seem not to work with
2.4.2 kernel.

Client daemons seem to hang at random moments, and umoun /afs sometimes
works, sometimes doesn't, and sometimes mounting /afs causes funny things to
be seen under the mountpoint (I always see the whole root tree `linked' in
/afs and that's all, no afs functionality). This requires reboot to resolve
:-(((( [cd /afs simply hangs forever]

It seems to me (as afs client works all fine with 2.2.17 kernel) that afs
module is somehow out-of-sync with 2.4 kernels.

Any ideas?

I will look in kernel.org to see what has changed in the vfs between 2.2.19
and 2.3.x/2.4.x and try to resolve it if it is a quick hack, otherwise I feel
somebody who maintains Linux port will have to have a peek on this issue...

(I hope I'm already subscribed to this list ;-)

Cheerz,
Kuba Ober