[OpenAFS-devel] 2.4.2-2 kernel under RH7.1 makes afs instable

Jag agrajag@linuxpower.org
Sun, 27 May 2001 18:43:54 -0700

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Kuba Ober wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> I'm currently running openafs-1.0.4 release CLIENT under redhat 7.0 2.2.1=
7=20
> kernel (self-compiled module) w/o problems.
> However, both self-compiled and stock kernel modules seem not to work wit=
h=20
> 2.4.2 kernel.
>=20
> Client daemons seem to hang at random moments, and umoun /afs sometimes=
=20
> works, sometimes doesn't, and sometimes mounting /afs causes funny things=
 to=20
> be seen under the mountpoint (I always see the whole root tree `linked' i=
n=20
> /afs and that's all, no afs functionality). This requires reboot to resol=
ve=20
> :-(((( [cd /afs simply hangs forever]
>=20
> It seems to me (as afs client works all fine with 2.2.17 kernel) that afs=
=20
> module is somehow out-of-sync with 2.4 kernels.
>=20
> Any ideas?
>=20
> I will look in kernel.org to see what has changed in the vfs between 2.2.=
19=20
> and 2.3.x/2.4.x and try to resolve it if it is a quick hack, otherwise I =
feel=20
> somebody who maintains Linux port will have to have a peek on this issue.=
..
>=20
> (I hope I'm already subscribed to this list ;-)

A /LOT/ has changed between 2.2.17 and 2.4  and still a lot between the
'vanilla' 2.4 and the -ac series kernels (which Red Hat's kernel is
based off of).   Take a look at the openafs rpms in
ftp://kickstart.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/realmkit/realmkit-7.1/i386/RealmKit/RPMS
I was running these on a RH71(-based) machine back before school let out
and things seemed fine (other than the usual transarc/open afs problems
with actually shutting down afs).

Jag

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE--