[OpenAFS-devel] Suggestions for features/ideas...

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 28 May 2001 19:14:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Ted McCabe wrote:

> At 12:51 PM -0500 5/23/01, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:
> >Ability to flag a volume as read-only - even though it's actually a
> >read-write volume. I'd like to be able to mount a volume (likely restore
> >vol) so the user can get to all the data within it, maintaining the acl's as
> >is, but make it so that user cannot make any changes to it.
>
> IIRC, CMU's stage backup system restored volumes readonly while I was
> there.  I don't recall whether the volume is marked as RO in the VLDB
> (if not, it should be).  Someone at CMU will have to comment as to
> whether stage still restores RO and if not, perhaps indicate what
> forced the change (if due to a change in AFS).

Stage still does RO restores by default, although it is possible to
determine at restore time that an RW volume is desired (for example, when
recovering a trashed vice partition).  In either case, the VLDB entry is
set correctly, though 'vos examine' gets a little confused when you have a
VLDB entry with an RO volid and site, but no RW.

At present, it is not possible to change the "type" of a volume once it
has been created.  It certainly _is_ possible, at the RPC level, to
restore a volume as RO in the first place.  I should think it would be
fairly trivial to add an option to 'vos restore' to do this.

-- Jeff