[OpenAFS-devel] Suggestions for features/ideas...

Ted McCabe ted@MIT.EDU
Thu, 24 May 2001 11:58:38 -0400

At 12:51 PM -0500 5/23/01, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:
>Ability to flag a volume as read-only - even though it's actually a
>read-write volume. I'd like to be able to mount a volume (likely restore
>vol) so the user can get to all the data within it, maintaining the acl's as
>is, but make it so that user cannot make any changes to it.

IIRC, CMU's stage backup system restored volumes readonly while I was
there.  I don't recall whether the volume is marked as RO in the VLDB
(if not, it should be).  Someone at CMU will have to comment as to
whether stage still restores RO and if not, perhaps indicate what
forced the change (if due to a change in AFS).

In any case, originally the fact that the fileserver thought a volume
was RO and the VLDB thought it was RO was maintained *only* by vos
keeping such state consistent.  Whether that's still the case, I
don't know, but the history of the situation might prove useful to
anyone looking to implement this option.

    --Ted