[OpenAFS-devel] When is an AFS request-response completed?

Andrew J Klosterman andrew5@andrew.cmu.edu
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 20:34:37 -0500 (EST)

I used the mentioned document to help out with determining the tuple of
(epoch, cid, callNumber) for uniquely identifying the client's request.
It was extremely helpful in that regard.

I may have missed where it specifies that the response must come back to
the client in a packet that contains that exact same tuple.

I have looked through it (as mentioned below) and the reference documents.

I have still not seen any hints as to how an AFS request-reponse pair can
be identified.   Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated.

Looking back through the document, I see that:

Rx Connections
==============

	"epoch is a unique value chosen by Rx on startup and used by the
	peer to both to identify connections to this host"

	The information regarding connection ID (cid) and the 4 channels
	is present.

	"Call number identifies a particular call within a channel"

	"Sequence numbers always start with 1 at the beginning of each
	call."

	CLIENT-INITIATED is indicative of client initiated packet and lack
	of it indicating a server packet.

Packet Types

	DATA type packets have an Rx payload (operation)

Call Layer

	A new call is established by the client simply sending a
	data packet to the server on an available channel

I have also reviewed all of the associated documents mentioned at the end
of the document, to no avail.

Any assistance from the community would be much appreciated.