[OpenAFS-devel] fileserver problem

Thomas Mueller thomas.mueller@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:36:26 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Harald Barth wrote:

>=20
> Some thoughts....
>=20
> I do not know if OpenAFS nowadays has protection against clients with
> one-way-connectivity using up all resources (threads or whatever) of
> the server. The IBM versions don't seem to have such protection.
>=20

I talked to the admin of the client and he told me that the machine
is running WinNT and had installed two different versions of McAfee's
VirusScan software. It was configured to scan all the network drives.

So I think, there were two problems:
- a newer version of VirusScan was installed without a deinstallation of=20
the old version
- the software was configured to scan all drives.

Nevertheless should the server protect himself against a client=20
using up all ressources of the server.
I think there were a lot of scenarios where a client with an large AFS=20
cache could simply read all the files he could reach.

Thomas.

--=20
Thomas M=FCller, TU Chemnitz, Universit=E4tsrechenzentrum, D-09107 Chemni=
tz
mail: Thomas.Mueller@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de