[OpenAFS-devel] ARGH... afs outage... and same stinking client bug that it doesn' t ever see it...

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:34:12 -0400

I don't know if this is related, but maybe it's a clue.  We used to run into
a situation where the client would start an rpc to the file server that
would require the file server to contact the pts server.  Normally if the
file server does not respond for some period of time, the client will time
out.  But in this case, the file server sends some kind of keepalive (we
called them "makedeads") back to the client, which would then stall forever,
or for as long as the pts server was stalled.

I don't think this is the exact same problem but maybe it's similar.