[OpenAFS-devel] Ubik voting idea

Ted McCabe ted@MIT.EDU
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:47:02 -0400

Situation:
   For some time now, I've seen/heard occassional discussion over how
to possibly address the situation where the maintainers of a cell
prefer their sync-site to be some server that doesn't have the lowest
IP address.  Every solution I can recall has an ordering preference
on each server for who they would vote for.
   While relatively straightforward to implement, I've not seen a way
to deal with servers configured with different vote ordering
preferences.

Idea:
   Modify the ubik voting scheme so that the voting is no longer for
sync-site, but instead is for the designator of the sync-site.  The
current method of voting remains unchanged, only the "office" changes.
   The designator would choose the sync-site based on its own
configured preferences from those servers it knows are available to
be sync-site.  Those preferences may indicate that the designator
names some other server to be sync-site.

   With this scheme, there is no longer any concern for db servers
having different notions of which servers are preferred for sync-site
since only one sync-site ordering is used.  In fact, the cell
maintainers would be free to give servers different preferences for
sync-site.

Thoughts?  Concerns?

Additional idea:
   Perhaps also possible, the designator's preferences may specify
that a server (or servers) is so strongly preferred for sync-site
that the designator may change the sync-site even if the current,
not-so-strongly-preferred sync-site is still functioning as such.
   I expect if this idea has merit, it would only be implemented after
the first has proven successful but still not sufficient.  My main
interest for comments is thus on the first idea.

    --Ted