[OpenAFS-devel] Error 42a from W2k

James Peterson jimpeter@us.ibm.com
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:44:50 -0700

> I am having trouble getting this error while trying to start the service
> under Win2k, and the system isn't even sending out any packets.
> AFAIK my account has God rights on this system.
> I have a Samba 2.x domain running fine with this system as a client.

1. What does your event log say?  Run
     eventvwr.msc /s
Look at the Application log for any information about AFS.

2. LANA number
Make sure that you never set the Lana Number:

With the latest patch of Win 2000 you shouldn't have to worry about
choosing the proper LANA # and I recommend you not doing it.

Once you choose a LANA number you either have to un-install AFS or remove
the registry entry :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\TransarcAFSDaemon\LANadapter

3. Correct machine name
Is your W2k computer's machine name <= 12 characters and unique

4. Dll corrupt
Uninstall AFS, reboot, and install it again.

5. Latest version - Current version is 1.1.1a
Look at the AFS Client dialog box.

James Peterson
"Integrity is the base of excellence."