[OpenAFS-devel] RE: Error 42a from W2k

Eric Knudstrup eric@knudstrup.org
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:25:22 -0700

Ok, here's what I get from the event log.  A reinstall didn't fix the
problem:

last error:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( AFS Client ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: AFS quitting.

first error:

The description for Event ID ( 222 ) in Source ( AFS Client ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: Error at file afsd_service.c, line 222:
unknown error.

first informational:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( AFS Client ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: AFS start pending.

I downloaded the WinNt exe from the "latest release" page yesterday.

> 2. LANA number
> Make sure that you never set the Lana Number:
>
> With the latest patch of Win 2000 you shouldn't have to worry about
> choosing the proper LANA # and I recommend you not doing it.
>
> Once you choose a LANA number you either have to un-install AFS or remove
> the registry entry :
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\TransarcAFSDaemon\LANadapter

Nope.

> 3. Correct machine name
> Is your W2k computer's machine name <= 12 characters and unique

Yes

> 4. Dll corrupt
> Uninstall AFS, reboot, and install it again.

Just did that.

> 5. Latest version - Current version is 1.1.1a
> Look at the AFS Client dialog box.

Yes it is 1.1.1a.

Eric