[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] any hack to get multiple read/write mirrors

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:49:10 -0500

> So what advantages do you want to gain by replicating RW volumes? It
> does not help you in case of network outage, since the above mentioned
> immeadiate propagation of changes to all offices requires a working
> network connection anyway, regardless wether this is between client
> (office 1) and server (office 2) or between any two servers (office 1
> and office 2).

Just an idea, but it seems to me that a simple way to get some of the
benefits of R/W replication would be the idea of a cache-manager-proxy.
If a local AFS server had the capability of caching on behalf of a
client, or pre-caching, you'd have the data local still, but it wouldn't
have to be in the cache on the client.

Now, this doesn't help you in the case of a network outage, but
performance for reads would help.

Think of a new volume type "CP" that basically tells the server "get a
complete copy of this volume, and maintain callbacks to it's entire
contents". The volume would be added like a backup or replicate.

Dunno how any of this would interact with Disconnected Operation, but
just thought I'd throw it out.

-- Nathan