[OpenAFS-devel] suggested feature...

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:55:09 -0500

I've been noticing recently that the filesystem overhead is getting larger
(not specific to afs, just different filesystems, and larger cache sizes).
I've had several systems recently complain about the cache partition being
full, due to it actually filling up, even though I've left a sizable amount
free (cacheinfo sized less than the actual partition size), but obviously
not enough. (my overhead calculation obviously isn't sufficient any more,
and needed adjusting)

I'd agree, it shouldn't happen, but if you accidentally undersize the
partition (or in my case, realize that the overhead calculation previously
used is no longer sufficient), it would be nice if the cache manager could
more gracefully handle that situation.

I just wonder how hard it would be for it to have something like:

Existing:
	if cache-free-space-according-to-cacheinfo-and-cache-entry-sizes <
sizeof-new-chunk-needed
		flush some cache entries
Added code:
	elsif actual-cache-free-space < sizeof-new-chunk-needed
		flush some cache entries

-- Nathan