[OpenAFS-devel] Trial Baloon for Red Hat packaging

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
25 Sep 2001 17:43:59 -0400

sodre <sodre@wam.umd.edu> writes:

>    That is good. However, would it be possible to name it something like
> this:
>         openafs-1.2.1-rh6.2.1
>     I suggest this because if you have someone that wants to compile
> this for Mandrake than the package would have a different name... If it
> is too much trouble then just ignore what I said above.

Sure, I can add the string 'rh' in front of the os-version.  Then
Mandrake could use mdk (is the mdk added automatically by mandrake's
RPM system?) and suse could use something else.  I have no problem
with this.  The only question is whether RPM will DTRT in terms of
upgrading packages.  I'll go test this.

>   I think it is good to put the <kvers>. However, you know that if the
> person upgraded from 2.4.<n> to 2.4.<n+1> the openafs-kernel.rpm will
> not work unless you recompile it. I'm sure you know about that, but I'm
> mentioning it in case you forgot.

Oh, I know.  That's one of the points of the pkgrel part; so that I
could add new kernel modules when RedHat releases new kernels.

> My original intention was to have <kvers> added to all packages too. I
> had some past experience that when I changed the kernel vesion - 2.4.<n>
> to 2.4.<n+1> - I had to recompile the whole openafs release. Note
> however that it was not in RH but rather in Mandrake.

I seriously cannot see why changing kernels would affect the
user-space at all.  I meant, it's not like the ABI changed, nor did
AFS-syscall change numbers.  I don't know what Mandrake did different,
because this certainly wasn't the case on RH.  Then again, someone who
decided to support Mandrake RPMs would have to make changes to the
SPEC file anyways, so they could theoretically change this themselves.

> I sincerely hope this makes more sense to you and to the other people
> who might have been reading this.
>

> Patrick Sodre

-derek