[OpenAFS-devel] Trial Baloon for Red Hat packaging

sodre sodre@wam.umd.edu
25 Sep 2001 17:34:44 -0400

On Tue, 2001-09-25 at 17:17, Derek Atkins wrote:
> I think you misunderstood my intentions.  My '1' and '2' were not
> options, they were subparts.  The only question was on subpart '2'.
> Namely, my proposal is to (subpart 1) name ALL the packages (except
> for openafs-kernel) using:
>
> 	<name>-<oa_vers>-<rhvers>.<pkgrel>

   Now I'm completely sure you are right... I did not understand what
you wanteed.
> So this would give us packages like:
> 	openafs-1.2.1-6.2.1
> 	openafs-client-1.2.1-7.1.2
   That is good. However, would it be possible to name it something like
this:
        openafs-1.2.1-rh6.2.1
    I suggest this because if you have someone that wants to compile
this for Mandrake than the package would have a different name... If it
is too much trouble then just ignore what I said above.

> My question was how to name openafs-kernel (subpart 2).  My current
> belief is that openafs-kernel should be named:

> e.g. 	openafs-kernel-1.2.1-6.2.22.2
> 	openafs-kernel-1.2.1-7.1.24.1

  I think it is good to put the <kvers>. However, you know that if the
person upgraded from 2.4.<n> to 2.4.<n+1> the openafs-kernel.rpm will
not work unless you recompile it. I'm sure you know about that, but I'm
mentioning it in case you forgot.

> I'm not sure what you meant by "all" in your original message.  Were
> you suggesting that I use the kernel version is _all_ packages?  I
> maintain that that is overkill and un-necessary additional information
> in all the user-space code.  Or were you just suggesting that I put
> all the available information into the openafs-kernel package (which
> is my current plan)?  Or did you mean something else that I'm still
> being confused about?
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> -derek

My original intention was to have <kvers> added to all packages too. I
had some past experience that when I changed the kernel vesion - 2.4.<n>
to 2.4.<n+1> - I had to recompile the whole openafs release. Note
however that it was not in RH but rather in Mandrake.

I sincerely hope this makes more sense to you and to the other people
who might have been reading this.

Patrick Sodre