[OpenAFS-devel] Trial Baloon for Red Hat packaging

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
25 Sep 2001 17:17:52 -0400

I think you misunderstood my intentions.  My '1' and '2' were not
options, they were subparts.  The only question was on subpart '2'.
Namely, my proposal is to (subpart 1) name ALL the packages (except
for openafs-kernel) using:

	<name>-<oa_vers>-<rhvers>.<pkgrel>

So this would give us packages like:
	openafs-1.2.1-6.2.1
	openafs-client-1.2.1-7.1.2

My question was how to name openafs-kernel (subpart 2).  My current
belief is that openafs-kernel should be named:

e.g. 	openafs-kernel-1.2.1-6.2.22.2
	openafs-kernel-1.2.1-7.1.24.1

I'm not sure what you meant by "all" in your original message.  Were
you suggesting that I use the kernel version is _all_ packages?  I
maintain that that is overkill and un-necessary additional information
in all the user-space code.  Or were you just suggesting that I put
all the available information into the openafs-kernel package (which
is my current plan)?  Or did you mean something else that I'm still
being confused about?

Thanks for your input.

-derek