[OpenAFS-devel] AFS server on Windows

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:54:50 +0200 (CEST)

> >Can we use our Win2k server as the AFS kerberos server?
> Yes you can use Win2K server as AFS kerberos server.

The kdc shipped with .net has been seeing dying after trying to issue
inter realm tickets. I would _not_ Win-anything as a base for my kdc.
If you do that, it can be that you are the first person to test
certain functionality.

> >And so, is it possible to access AFS files on Windows with Win2k domain
> >login? So without re-entering a password?
> This can be done by enabling integrated login and the user name in win2k
> domain should be same as the AFS user.

People keep telling me that there is a checkbox somewhere to map a
Winuser to a kerberos identity.

> >We have Windows servers that gives files to Windows users.
> >Now, we want to access these files with Linux.
> >Is it possible that a windows server gives those files through
> >WindowsSMB + AFS at the same time?
> Install AFS server on Windows server . Create volumes on this server and
> put the files which you want to access in these volumes. Install AFS client
> on Windows and Linux machine and access the files on the Windows server.

As I understand the original question with exporting files at the same
time: No, in AFS you do not export local files like you do in SMB. If
an AFS client stores a file on an AFS file server, you will not be
able to read that file from local disk (like D:\some\file). Even on
the server you will have to use the AFS network file system to access
the files. The whole thing gets a bit more comfused as the OpenAFS
client actually is a translator and in itself acting like a SMB
server. Through that it is possible to access AFS files from SMB, I
guess that that might not be the thing you want.

If you want/have to keep SMB access for you windows users, you will
probably end mounting the SMB file systems from your Linux boxes, too.

Harald.