[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS 1.2.6 on AIX 4.3.3 - /vicep structure or v3fshelper ???

Michael Niksch nik@zurich.ibm.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:41:22 +0200

I am familiar with IBM AFS 3.6 2.38 client and server on AIX 4.3.3. I
am now experimenting with using OpenAFS 1.2.6 instead. I installed the
pre-compiled code from openafs/1.2.6/aix-4.3.3/rs_aix42.tar.gz.

The client seems to run without problems.

I can also start the server, but when I create a volume, it is stored
in the respective /vicep filesystem with the same structure as IBM AFS
would do it, i.e. 'ls' can see just a Vnnnnnnnnnn.vl volume header,
while all the actual data is hidden.

IBM AFS comes with a modified /sbin/helpers/v3fshelper to allow running
'fsck' on /vicep filesystems without destroying the hidden data.
Unsurprisingly, however, the modified v3fshelper is missing from
OpenAFS 1.2.6, and running 'fsck' with the standard AIX version causes
all data on the partition to be wiped out.

I would have expected OpenAFS on AIX to structure /vicep partitions the
same way it does on Linux, i.e. showing a Vnnnnnnnnnn.vol volume header
plus a visible AFSIDat directory containing the actual data, which
should allow to run a standard 'fsck' without losing data. Is it
possible that the pre-compiled AIX 4.3.3 code was built with incorrect
options? Is there a run-time option to change how /vicep partitions are
structured by the fileserver?

--
Michael Niksch                     /Zurich/IBM @ IBMCH
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory     nik@zurich.ibm.com