[OpenAFS-devel] Windows - SMB messages

James Peterson jpeterso@sinenomine.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 06:18:40 -0800

On a Windows (NT or XP) afs client, After ~half day of operation our Java
IDE becomes really slow, and there are errors when trying to save an open
document to afs namespace.

After investigating the SMB activity we have found that the windows afs
client receives a SMB command, SMB_COM_NT_TRANSACT, with the sub-command
code of 2, NT_TRANSACT_IOCTL. The window's client code only supports
subcommands NT_TRANSACT_CREATE,NT_TRANSACT_QUERY_SECURITY_DESC and
NT_TRANSACT_NOTIFY_CHANGE (see smb_ReceiveNTTransact). Command code 2,
NT_TRANSACT_IOCTL, is not supported in the code.

I would appreciate if anyone has enough experience with SMB protocol or
knows where to look so I can identify the intended action of the SMB
command, NT_TRANSACT_IOCTL.  Currently the cache server returns an error
code and this results in the above mentioned file errors.

James Peterson
"Integrity is the Base of Excellence"