[OpenAFS-devel] AFS + Heimdal "afs" principal question

Alf Wachsmann alfw@SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 12:41:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I am experimenting a little with converting an AFS cell from kaserver
to Heimdal Krb5 authentication.

In my AFS cell I had a max ticket lifetime of 25 hours.
The "afs" principal in that cell had a max ticket lifetime of 100 hours.

Then I converted my kaserver DB with Heimdal's "hprop" to a Krb5 KDC DB.

The default max ticket life in my Krb5 realm is again 25 hours.

When I do (as normal user) a "kinit" followed by an "afslog" I get a
Krb5 TGT and AFS token with lifetime 25 hours (as expected).

But when I am using AFS' "klog" directly against my Heimdal KDC compiled
with Krb4 and kaserver support I get an AFS token that is valid 100 hours.

I would like to understand the following two things:
- Why does the "afs" principal in AFS need a 100 hour ticket lifetime?
- What will/can go wrong in my converted cell when I set the ticket
  lifetime by hand down to 25 hours?

Many thanks,
                  Alf.

In case it matters: Heimdal-0.5.1, kth-krb4-1.2.1, IBM/Transarc AFS
afs3.6 2.39, KDCs run on sun4x_58.

  Alf Wachsmann                       | e-mail: alfw@slac.stanford.edu
  SLAC Computing Service              | Phone:  +1-650-926-4802
  2575 Sand Hill Road, M/S 97         | FAX:    +1-650-926-3329
  Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA           | Office: Bldg. 50/323
                http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~alfw (PGP)