[OpenAFS-devel] RX abort packets, and client sitting in "waiting for busy volume" state

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:59:12 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:

> We just had a client start to experience continual 'waiting for busy volume' messages against two volumes on a server that is not very loaded. I've got a network trace of communications w/ that client+server, and what's going on is the client is sending two FetchStatus requests (one against each volume), and the server is sending back a RX abort packet. Nothing but that over and over again.
>
> Any idea what could be causing this?

Depends; What version are you running on them? A bug which could cause
that was fixed in (I think) 1.2.2 after Jimmy Engelbrecht complained about
his Arla clients suffering from it; Clients were not being properly reaped
by the fileserver.

> We're going to be upgrading file servers to more recent code very
> shortly, if there is any instrumentation y'all think it would be worth
> adding before I do that, please speak up, cause now is the time I can
> add it reasonably. (We're clearing servers then upgrading os and afs
> install.)

Why not try the upgrade first, then worry about instrumentation if you
still have a problem?

-D