[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenAFS CVS Commit: openafs/src/rxgen by shadow

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:50:13 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:

> Well, there has always been a history of "don't use prototypes" in the
> AFS source cause of certain kernel-compilers not being able to handle
> it. Or at least, be very careful about where they are used... Dig back
> in archives about the _P() discussion.

Yeah, and we may well need to do this.

> I'm not disagreeing with their use (I've held back on a ton of cleanup
> that would have added LOTS more prototyping), I'm just wondering about
> what appears to be a sudden change in policy.

There was one serious issue remaining in the head which was making the
client go south on Linux. It's fixed. You were going to see a proposal
here shortly about prototypes, but instead I'll just give the short
version. Please, by all means, let's discuss it.

-all functions prototyped, starting with kernel. this patch provides an
opporunity to explore what if any kernel compilers suck.
-all functions in kernel not being used outside local file actually
changed to "static"
-all prototypes for use outside file actually in header and correct, not
just ()

and then the rest of the code:
-more or less same deal, but obviously not changing bits of the API to
"static" even if nothing is obviously "using" them
-new header for prototypes, or "abuse" the existing main header for each
system? (leaning toward the latter)