[OpenAFS-devel] Aaargh! Incompatible includes.

Adam Thornton adam@fsf.net
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:46:27 -0600

How hard would it be to make OpenAFS rely on the
more-or-less-standard-by-now set of includes that OpenSSL and most
(Linux, anyway) distributions provide?

I ask, because I've been having the very devil of a time getting AFS to
build on a SuSE 7.3 Pro system, or to get AFS to play nicely with Samba
2.2.3 built with the --with-afs configuration option.  And let's not
even go into SASL 2 and Cyrus IMAPD, which really ought to be able to
use AFS ACLs since that's what its faking on a normal filesystem.

I still haven't even gotten afsd to run on a SuSE 7.3 Pro (i386) system;
it immediately segfaults; probably because it's picking up the wrong
library somewhere, but I haven't had time to investigate.

It mostly seems to be traceable to differing sets of header files and
libraries; the XDR headers in rpc are one set whose different
interpretations cause SuSE 7.0+patches on S/390 to refuse to build Samba
with the --with-afs option; for another, AFS, OpenSSL, and MIT K5 all
appear to use mutually incompatible DES headers.

I just want to build OpenAFS to use MIT K5 as its authentication source,
and integrate with Samba and Cyrus IMAPD.  It really shouldn't be as
hard as it is.

Adam