[OpenAFS-devel] waiting for quorum election

Jeremy Stribling jstribl@us.ibm.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:47:57 -0800

Hi all,

I am working on an automatic configuration script for AFS on Linux.
Because it's a script and everything happens so fast, a problem sometimes
occurs where I try to create a volume using vos before a quorum has been
elected.  I have tried creating a script that parses the output of the
udebug program to make sure it contains a line starting with "I am sync
site" before going on to execute any volume creation commands, however even
when the output contains this line I still sometimes get the error.  I
tried running udebug on all four ports (buserver, kaserver, ptserver, and
vlserver), and the same problem always occurs.  Here is the error I get:

>vos create <some_machine_name> /vicepa root.cell
Could not get Id for volume root.cell
u: no quorum elected
Error in vos create command
u: no quorum elected

Does anyone know of any other way to ensure a quorum has been elected,
short of simply waiting 5 or 10 seconds just to be sure?  I'd really prefer
a nice solution.  Thanks,

Jeremy Stribling