[OpenAFS-devel] Authentication Mechamisms

Donavan Pantke m_ithil@hotmail.com
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 20:07:41 -0500

    I have a question that may be developer-level, let em know if this is
the wrong list. :) I'm looking at putting in a shared Filesystem setup at my
company, but I really started looking at the authentication system in NFS
and said ick! :) Anyway, I was looking over the authentication mechanism in
AFS, and I really didn't want to maintain yet ANOTHER username/password
listing. That's the biggest reason I'm implementing a Novell eDirectory tree
to handle that. My question is that I have PAM modules and such that
authenticate users against the eDirectory, is there any way I can get AFS to
use eDirectory or any similar directory (LDAP, etc) to get it's
authentication token? This way, I can simply use the username in eDirectory,
and don't have to worry about using the AFS auth database. Or, maybe just as
well, is there an AFS auth server that simply looks things up in an
LDAP-type directory for it's info?