[OpenAFS-devel] Authentication Mechamisms

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
06 Jan 2002 12:07:45 -0500

No, currently AFS can only use the KAServer or Kerberos for
authentication.  There is no LDAP backend for the authentication.
You _CAN_ use LDAP for user login information (e.g. username,
GECOS, homedirectory, shell, etc.) but you still need to use
Kerberos for the actual _authentication_.

Basically you have a single key into two databases:

username -+-> LDAP -+----> Real Name
          |         +----> Home Directory
          |         +----> Shell
          |         +----> Office
          |         +----> Phone
          +-> Kerberos --> authentication (password)

The whole point of Kerberos is to _protect_ the password so that
you don't need to propagate it to everywhere.  A server does not
need access to the users' "password" in order to authenticate them.

I hope this helps.

-derek