[OpenAFS-devel] tools and additional autoconf options...

Jeremy Katz katzj@redhat.com
14 Jan 2002 20:38:01 -0500

On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 16:33, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:
> >
> > > Since we're starting to add other tools - what's the policy/general
> > > consensus on adding support for other afs related tools?
> >
> > This is just for the test suite and not anything general, so drawing
> > conclusions is pretty meaningless.
>
> Of course I realize as it stands in CVS now the 4 tools get installed by
> default. That will be rectified shortly.

Although I have to say that testing tools are a good thing, is there any
reason these and other tools couldn't/shouldn't just be added as
additional modules in the CVS repository?  Then they would still be
centrally available, but at the same time, if there are large updates to
the test suite for example, you don't have to have a full OpenAFS
release to release the updated test suite.  Otherwise, I see things
becoming (even more of a) maintenance nightmare.

And this is without even bringing up the possibility that then perhaps
these non-core modules could be maintained by someone else instead of

My $0.02

Jeremy