[OpenAFS-devel] tools and additional autoconf options...

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:41:37 -0500 (EST)

On 14 Jan 2002, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> Although I have to say that testing tools are a good thing, is there any
> reason these and other tools couldn't/shouldn't just be added as
> additional modules in the CVS repository?  Then they would still be

Actually I think they should be, but this is basically a way to get
a quickly operational test suite; No messy "need to find AFS" configure
issues, because it gets built with OpenAFS for the moment. Everything is
exactly where it built earlier in the build process.

It (test suite inclusion directly in the OpenAFS tree in such a
manner that it directs or is affected by release schedule) shouldn't be
considered a long term solution; However, a more codified testing
procedure for releases is more or less a necessity for an enterprise
product, and at least for the moment provides a way for adoptees and
upgraders to get a known quantity.

As a bonus it did find at least one bug in the Linux client (which already
existed) and tickled 2 others (which also already existed, but in one case
provided a much easier way to reproduce)

-D