[OpenAFS-devel] tools and additional autoconf options...

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:47:37 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:

> perhaps... but what is the consensus? That we would rather not have any
> other tools built with openafs - i.e. keep them all independent? Or that we
> should make it as easy as possible for new sites to do it one of the ways
> that we suggest?

If they're tools that we're going to end up needing to keep up with
patches on and will get behind, it's almost certainly smarter to not
distribute our own version. If AFS support patches can be done in a
non-intrusive way they should be contributed upstream. If they can't,
distributing them in anything more than a "this might work for you"
fashion will probably make people hate us, both the people we give the
patches to and the people whose software is being patched.

> If nothing else, let's at least get it as a module on openafs.org cvs so
> that we can have a canonical location for the tools and source.

If it's not openafs-specific, why openafs.org and not central.org?
Put otherwise, why should people who use IBM AFS need to care about us?

If you think I'm totally wrong, lay into me:-)

-D