[OpenAFS-devel] Same problem in a different place.

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
30 Jan 2002 14:37:22 -0500

Nickolai Zeldovich <kolya@MIT.EDU> writes:

> > This is known as the "ls of death". If a user should mistakenly do a
> > "ls /afs" when the afs servers use a wide number sites, linux appears to
> > hang. Response times from MacMurdo station (antartica) really bite. I
> > think they use "tcp/ip over penguin".
>
> While adding better signal handling would fix this particular problem,
> you'd still lose when, say, a file manager tried to open up /afs, since
> you can't easily and safely interrupt it with ^C.  I've been meaning to
> implement fakestat -- i.e., create fake information for volume roots
> without actually talking to the vldb or fileservers.  This would fix
> the problem for both command-line and graphical tools, on all platforms.
> (Now I just need to actually do it.. :-)

Unfortunately it would still not fix the MacOSX finder problem.  The
finder not only tries to stat(dir) but also tries to
open(dir/.somefile).  At least, ISTR someone saying this is how the
finder works.

> -- kolya

-derek