[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS on *BSD platforms

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 14:33:48 -0400

At 12:30 PM -0400 7/13/02, jtoy@mac.com wrote:
>Hello, I have written to the people supposedly handling the code
>for OpenAFS on OpenBSD, but have never received a reply.  I have
>also searched on the net regarding OpenBSD and OpenAFS, but was
>only able to find the line "in progress"  Is there someone or
>someplace that I can find more information from.

check that for news on freebsd's port.  I don't know anything
about the port for openafs on openbsd (although I am interested
in seeing that too...).

>I haven't written for the BSDs before, only linux, but I noticed
>that all the code for NetBSD and FreeBSD seems to also have some
>bugs also.  Does anyone care to comment on *BSD status of OpenAFS
>code?  Thanks for your time.

If you get the openafs source from the repository, and you include
the latest patch that Chaskiel Grundman posted to the port-freebsd
mailing list, then you'll have something which works fairly well
as a client on freebsd.  One of the guys here at RPI is trying it
on the -stable branch of freebsd.  We still need to do some more
testing to know for sure, but so far it looks fairly useable as
an AFS client.

I'm more interested in having openafs on the -current branch of
freebsd, but that branch has been a bit of a minefield for me
lately, so I haven't gotten anywhere with that testing.