[OpenAFS-devel] AFSDB in Openafs 1.2.5

Nickolai Zeldovich kolya@MIT.EDU
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:37:12 -0400

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 23:25:08 +0200, Harald Barth <haba@pdc.kth.se> wrote:

>        I think AFS should use the same prioritry order as for host
> names on the same computer.

Hm, that's an interesting solution to this problem..  One small issue
is that it requires a config file parser for each platform that has
its own way of specifying this ordering (/etc/nsswitch.conf, BSD's
/etc/host.conf, Linux's /etc/host.conf, etc).  But this sounds good
otherwise, and doesn't add yet another switch to the cluttered afsd
command line. :)

>                              To use AFSDB and dynroot today, my cache
> manager needs a CellServDB with cell names only. With the
> implementation of the DB-server lookup in OpenAFS today, that will
> make vos and other commands that do not use the cache manager unusable
> for these cells. I think the questions was if that could be fixed.

I agree with all your points, and have actually checked in code to
support empty CellServDB entries in OpenAFS just now, with the second
of the two interpretations you mention (declare existence but not DB
servers).

-- kolya