[OpenAFS-devel] AFSDB in Openafs 1.2.5

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 22:20:53 -0500 (CDT)

> >        I think AFS should use the same prioritry order as for host
> > names on the same computer.
>
> Hm, that's an interesting solution to this problem..  One small issue
> is that it requires a config file parser for each platform that has
> its own way of specifying this ordering (/etc/nsswitch.conf, BSD's
> /etc/host.conf, Linux's /etc/host.conf, etc).  But this sounds good
> otherwise, and doesn't add yet another switch to the cluttered afsd
> command line. :)

Hmm... I thought that for systems using nsswitch.conf, gethostby*()
automatically did the whole parsing automatically.  That's the whole point
of NSS: applications don't have to know about it.

From gethostbyname(3nsl) man page on my Solaris 8 machine:

     These functions are used to obtain entries describing hosts.
     An  entry  may come from any of the sources for hosts speci-
     fied in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file.  See  nsswitch.conf(4).

[  t charles clancy  ]-[  tclancy@uiuc.edu  ]-[  uiuc.edu/~tclancy  ]