[OpenAFS-devel] CopyOnWrite failure

Matthew N. Andrews mnandrews@lbl.gov
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:41:43 -0800

>As yet I haven't seen this problem on my linux machine so preferably I'd
>need some help to track it, and this week I have other
>(non-computing-related) problems anyway. But, thanks to a donation from
>MIT to replace virtue.openafs.org, the current virtue hardware should be
>available for the latter test as soon as I have time to set up the new
>machine.

>Some questions for those of you with this problem:
>-only with linux servers?
yes, but I'm not running openafs servers anywhere else.

>-always with non-replicated volumes that have a .backup?
yes.

>-if the above, was the backup being recreated at the time? (the VolserLog
> may be helpful here, as well as the vos examine info)
I believe so.

>-what if anything pertinent about access patterns?
this has happened most frequently with a user who has a large number of
small files(mh mail folders), and had usually just moved a huge number
of them. he is also moderately likely to have been writing new files
while the backupsys command was recreating his .backup volume(mail delivery)

>-can you try a lwp fileserver for some period of time on your hardware?
I'm doing that right now. we had one failure the first time we ran
backupsys after changing the fileserver, but haven't seen it since
then(about a
week now). I'll let you know If the problem returns with the lwp fileserver.

-D