[OpenAFS-devel] Re: AFS & IA-64?

chas williams chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:08:01 -0500

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96L.1020321115857.32362m-100000@scully.trafford.dementia
.org>,Derrick J Brashear writes:
>2.96, but that recommendation may not apply to ia64; Chas Williams would
>have to tell you what he used, because I've neither used nor seen an ia64

i would use the same version of the compiler to build afs was used to
build the kernel.  on turbolinux, this is gcc 2.96.  on other linuxes,
it might kgcc.

>box, and I can't support what I can't use. the gcc3 doesn't work is a more
>general rule, in that on no other linux architecture has gcc3 produced a
>working kernel module that I know of.

i actually can build a running i386 kernel with gcc 3.0.4 but i needed to
rebuild the userland stuff that talked to the kernel (like afs, atm, etc)