[OpenAFS-devel] project for something with free time, autoconf and/or ddns experience

Patrick Sodre sodre@greed.sodre.cx
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:29:46 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> If you have some free time and have autoconf and/or ddns experience, I
> have a project in mind which (while not OpenAFS-specific) may help speed
> the adoption of AFS generally.
>
> The capsule summary is that there is already an AFS server which can
> safely export local filesystems read-only. It lacks autoconf support.
> Something else, which probably can and should be optional but which would
> really be a slam-dunk for this in some environments, would be DDNS
> support, namely, when the server starts, registers or updates an AFSDB
> record using DDNS, and undoes this when shutting down. That, however, is
> less important than autoconf support.

  If by DDNS you mean DynDNS then read on... else ignore this message.
  The only problem that I find with the "Slam-Dunk" part is finding a DDNS
server that will accept AFSDB records. I speak from experience since all
the "common" ones (dyndns.org et. al.) Does not let you setup specific
records.

Regards,

Patrick Sodre