[OpenAFS-devel] Bug in the fileserver?

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:52:49 +0100 (CET)

I'd say broken volume location server. Broken in more than one aspect.
I just have seen the surface of the iceberg, but there are some nasty
things lurking down there. The server has a list of IP adresseses and
there seem to be sysids assigned to them. If you have been running AFS
for years, there is a lot of crap collecting in these lists. Test
vos listaddr -c pdc.kth.se, or vos listaddr -c stacken.kth.se. I have
not figured out how to purge the crap in the lists, but that can be
related to the old versions of servers we are running here. I have
not figured out why I sometimes get names, sometimes IP numbers and
sometimes <unknown> as value when doing vos listaddrs.

# /usr/openafs/sbin/vos changeaddr 255.0.0.0 -remove -local
Could not remove server 255.0.0.0 from the VLDB
VLDB: illegal server number (not within limits)

This is a 3.5 server. Another cell runs 3.4 servers and there remove
is not even supported. BTW, someone out there who has a list of pits
to fall into when you upgrade from 3.4 or 3.5 volume location servers?

For your problem, I suppose everything is file as long as there is not
he IP number you are using now (why does the error message say
"ethernet"?) allready in the list. It may be OK if the sysid matches,
but for some reason it seems not to (check your VLlog file for that).
Try vos changeaddr <addr> -remove, it may work for you. As last resort
there is allways vos changeaddr <addr> <crapaddr>, but be careful, you
can create more than one entry for <crapaddr> this way.

If it would be rainy I'd have a look at the code :-)
Harald.