[OpenAFS-devel] Windows Loopback Adapter

Scott D. Williams sdw@email.unc.edu
Fri, 08 Nov 2002 13:09:15 -0500

Hello,
This morning I followed the procedure outlined in this posting from last
year on a single WinXP system:

https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-devel/2001-October/001955.html

I used a locally-compiled OpenAFS1.2.6 installer/binary; the system is
up-to-date wrt security patches, etc.

It went quite well. Indeed the client is functioning and is now 'invisible'
when queried from 'nbtstat' or similar. The one thing that didn't go as
well was the automatic start of the service (with or without integrated
login).  Since manual start of the service 'seemed' flawless, I started
experimenting with the service dependencies list for the afsd service
(TransarcAFSDaemon). This is the list I appended to
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\DependOnService:

LanmanWorkstation  (actually, this is standard at UNC)
Dhcp
Dnscache
ShellHWDetection
Netman

This may be overkill, but it did the trick. Again, this has only been
tested on a single XP machine.

--Scott