[OpenAFS-devel] Windows Crashes

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Thu, 07 Nov 2002 11:43:18 -0500

--On Wednesday, November 06, 2002 21:20:05 -0500 "Help Desk (NSD)"
<helpdesk@ctcnsc.org> wrote:
> Would it make sense (or even be possible) to have the service
> bind only to the loopback or reject all non-local packets?  I've looked
> at the code some; but, don't know where to start or what to look for.

By default, windows doesn't really have a loopback that can be bound to. It
handles localhost differently. Win2K and XP have an optional loopback
adapter, and the ability to bind to it and nothing else is one of the
openafs enhancements that is being worked on (albeit slowly). The existing
motivation to use the loopback is that afs can have a machine independent
unc path (e.g. \\afs\... on all machines), which in turn allows machine
names to be > 11 characters again.

One problem that the loopback work is going to encounter, even after all
the code is written, is that the loopback driver that microsoft wrote and
included in driver.cab on both os's isn't signed. This may cause
installation problems as microsoft makes it harder and harder to use
unsigned drivers.