[OpenAFS-devel] Re: 'replication'

Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:41:49 -0500

>>>>> "Thomas" == Thomas Mueller <thomas.mueller@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de> writes:

Thomas> I've integrated the MR-AFS code from Hartmut into OpenAFS 1.2.7.

Thomas> The patch provides a new subcommand to vos:

Thomas> [-localauth] [-verbose] [-encrypt] [-help]

Thomas> This allows to recover very fast from the loss of a partition
Thomas> from RO-copies if all RO-Copies exist on another partition.
Thomas> Then these RO-volumes can be made to the new RW-volumes.
Thomas> Backup of RW-volumes then consists in "vos release".

Thomas> Please note: this works only on namei fileservers.

This is a *very* interesting new feature, and one we can make very
creative use of, however, we're currently a Solaris fileserver shop,
and we won't have namei fileservers anytime soon.

Why can't this be used with non-namei fileservers?  Is there something
fundamental about the patch that only works with namei, or was it
simply not tested with non-namei?

IOW, is it perhaps just a case of not needed non-namei, and therefore