[OpenAFS-devel] Re: 'replication'

Thomas Mueller thomas.mueller@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:39:41 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com wrote:

>=20
> Thomas> Please note: this works only on namei fileservers.
>=20
> This is a *very* interesting new feature, and one we can make very
> creative use of, however, we're currently a Solaris fileserver shop,
> and we won't have namei fileservers anytime soon.
>=20
> Why can't this be used with non-namei fileservers?  Is there something
> fundamental about the patch that only works with namei, or was it
> simply not tested with non-namei?

converting the RO to an RW Volume consists mainly of three parts:
- converting the volume special files, e.g. the content of the info file=20
  and a kind of renaming of the all special files =20
- converting the volume header file, which contains the inodes of the=20
  volume special files=20
- replacing the vldb entry for the volume

I have only dealt with the namei fileserver because
- it was part of Hartmut's changes to MR-AFS
- we don't need it for non-namei fileservers.

I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement it for non-namei=20
servers, but I think, it shouldn't be expensive.

Thomas.
--=20
Thomas M=FCller, TU Chemnitz, URZ, D-09107 Chemnitz