[OpenAFS-devel] The Xserve saga: happy conclusion (more or lesss)

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn@uni-koeln.de
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:13:15 +0200

--==========89313011==========

--On Tuesday, October 15, 2002 10:17:55 -0400 Valerio Luccio=20
<valerio@cns.nyu.edu> wrote:

> By default OS X mounts all of it's disks, except for the OS disk, under
> "/Volumes/xxxxx" and if you have more than one disk each time you boot up
> the device name of the disks change (using two RAID sets, sometime it
> calls the OS disk "/dev/disk4" and the second set "/dev/disk5", some
> other times the other way around). I think that this is due to the OS
> creating the devices in parallel and, therefore, who ever gets there
> first gets the lower number. Add to this the fact that if you mount by
> hand the "/vicepa" partition, the information must be correctly contained
> in the NetInfo database. Currently I do the following, by hand: find out
> the name of my data disk (with mount); unmount the disk from
> "/Volumes/vicepa" and remount it in "/vicepa"; delete the current
> information from the NetInfo database (using niutil); store the new info
> in the NetInfo database (using niload). I'm going to set up the server so
> that it does not mount the data disk at boot up and, hopefully, that will
> mean that the name will remain constant. Then I'm going to modify the AFS
> startup script so that it does the rest automatically. Once I have it
> running properly I will send it to OpenAFS to be posted (maybe with a few
> lines of installation instructions for the Mac).

I haven't done this myself, but I've heard that you *can* use /etc/fstab=20
instead. You need to change the NetInfo database so that it reads=20
/etc/fstab instead of its own settings.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum f=FCr angewandte Informatik - Universit=E4tsweiter Service RRZK