[OpenAFS-devel] Updated redhat workaround patch

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
22 Oct 2002 10:05:26 -0400

"Neulinger, Nathan" <nneul@umr.edu> writes:

> Probably not redhat, but Alan Cox. I believe he has been very vocal in
> the past against our using syscall hooks.

Except Alan does not work for Red Hat, and you will notice that these
are SPECIFICALLY Red Hat patches to the 2.4.18 kernel.  These
restrictions do not exist in the core, 2.4.18 (or 2.4.19) kernel.
So it cannot be Alan, it is Red Hat.

Yes, Alan does not like the syscall hooks (not that I understand why
-- there are lot of GOOD THINGS you can do by hooking into the syscall
table, including some interesting security projects).  Alan has never
answered the questions regarding the other hooks that AFS needs (i.e.
PAG setting).

> -- Nathan

-derek