[OpenAFS-devel] Updated redhat workaround patch

seth vidal skvidal@phy.duke.edu
22 Oct 2002 10:21:41 -0400

--=-KzyIDYfSua5Kcoq7C9+D

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 10:17, Derek Atkins wrote:
> seth vidal <skvidal@phy.duke.edu> writes:
>=20
> > I think the point is that it is a gpld afs client so it can be shipped
> > IN the kernel - and it's a place to start.
>=20
> Open Source is Open Source.  So AFS uses the IPL instead of the GPL.
> So what?  It's still a perfectly valid license. =20

Valid, sure - but not GPL compatible:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

> The problem is that there are a LOT of AFS projects that need to get
> done and a complete lack of developer resources to do them.  While
> another implementation is an interesting thing theoretically,
> practically it will slow down deployment of new features as developers
> spread across the various implementations.

Therein lies the rub. I guess it will just be a question of which one
does it better over the long run. Just like the many conflicting ACL
systems trying to get in the kernel or VM subsystems.

-sv

--=20
<rgb>The Penguin endures.... Love the Penguin.</rgb>

--=-KzyIDYfSua5Kcoq7C9+D

--=-KzyIDYfSua5Kcoq7C9+D--