[OpenAFS-devel] Updated redhat workaround patch

seth vidal skvidal@phy.duke.edu
22 Oct 2002 10:25:21 -0400

--=-fr4UyaATAT8bCDvuWeIK

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 10:23, Derek Atkins wrote:
> seth vidal <skvidal@phy.duke.edu> writes:
>=20
> > > The problem is that there are a LOT of AFS projects that need to get
> > > done and a complete lack of developer resources to do them.  While
> > > another implementation is an interesting thing theoretically,
> > > practically it will slow down deployment of new features as developer=
> > > spread across the various implementations.
> >=20
> > Therein lies the rub. I guess it will just be a question of which one
> > does it better over the long run. Just like the many conflicting ACL
> > systems trying to get in the kernel or VM subsystems.
>=20
> Except no matter how well this version does, it will NEVER WORK on
> Solaris, Windows, Irix, BSD....  All the other implementations are
> cross-platform.
>=20

Not disputing that - but then again - the nfs stack in the kernel won't
work elsewhere either. Doesn't seem to concern the kernel development
people.

-sv

--=-fr4UyaATAT8bCDvuWeIK

--=-fr4UyaATAT8bCDvuWeIK--