[OpenAFS-devel] vos dump busying out the volume while dumping...

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
23 Oct 2002 12:39:52 -0400

"Neulinger, Nathan" <nneul@umr.edu> writes:

> Under normal circumstances, I'd always dump the .backup or .readonly
> volume, but I am looking at the possibility of doing fairly frequent
> incremental dumps of volumes, and had an idea about it.
>
> Currently, vos dump starts a transaction on the volume you specify,
> marking it as busy while that entire transaction is running.
>
> What about adding a "-clone" option to vos dump syntax that would
> operate very similar to how the vos move behaves. Basically, clone the
> source volume, do the dump from the clone, and then delete the clone.

Sounds good in theory.  You would have to change the dump format
slightly because you would need to have the full dump from the clone
and then the incremental dump from the changes to the RW since the
clone was made.

> Comments?
>
> (Before you suggest just running vos backup, I'd rather not replace the
> existing .backup volume during the day, since we publish that it is a
> backup from last night.)

-derek