[OpenAFS-devel] vos dump busying out the volume while dumping...

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:57:11 -0500

I'm not sure that would really be necessary to do the additional
incremental. When you do a dump, you're picking an abitrary time to do
the dump, shouldn't matter if it's the dump from the clone or the dump
from the RW - since volume is locked busy during the time you make the
clone, it should yield the same result.

Without -clone:
	Busy RW
	Dump header
	Dump data
	Unbusy RW

With -clone:
	Busy RW
	Create clone vol
	Clone data from RW
A	Unbusy RW
B	Busy clone
	Dump header from clone
	Dump data from clone
	Unbusy clone

Unless something changes in the clone from A to B, which shouldn't be
possible, the end result should be identical I would think.

If I'm missing something obvious here, please point it out.

I've got the code written (will send a patch momentarily) - and it's
very nice result. The parent volume is only locked for the period of the
clone operation, and not the full dump.

-- Nathan