[OpenAFS-devel] vos dump busying out the volume while dumping...

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:33:36 -0500

I'd love to see that (I mentioned something similar in the past wrt to
doing backups. When I do local disk backups and have enough space, I
usually try to do D,D,...,W,W,M,M in rotation. With clones, those
multiple generations would be very inexpensive.

However, biggest problem with it is that the protocol cannot currently
track more than 3 volids in the vldb. RW, RO, BK.=20

We could easily make multiple clones, but there won't be any way to
mount them unless you give it a different name.=20

One other negative is that you suddenly are making "vos move" have a
whole lot more impact to the user, since you'll be destroying all those
extra copies.

A "vos copy" might be a better routine name - copy an arbitrary volume
to another location, since if it's on a remote server, it's not really a
clone.=20

I think if you mounted the clone using a different name, it wouldn't be
kept track of, but it would also not be deleted when you did a vos move.
That might be useful, if a bit confusing.=20

-- Nathan