[OpenAFS-devel] vos dump busying out the volume while dumping...

David Thompson thomas@cs.wisc.edu
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:48:53 -0500

"Neulinger, Nathan" wrote:
>I'd love to see that (I mentioned something similar in the past wrt to
>doing backups. When I do local disk backups and have enough space, I
>usually try to do D,D,...,W,W,M,M in rotation. With clones, those
>multiple generations would be very inexpensive.

What you don't get out of this scenario is a truly independent copy of the
data.  In the event of a disk failure, you're out everything.  I know the raid
people would like you to believe that double drive failures never happen, but
in reality they only almost never happen.  Or, what if the sprinkler system in
your computer room goes haywire? (etc., etc., etc.)

To be complete, I would need something that would have a virtually unlimited
number of multiple snapshots on a separate server from the RW.  That way I
could store the backup data in a separate building and have both on-line
backups and the data portion of my disaster recovery plan taken care.  I
suppose replicated RW volumes and multiple .backup clones would get me there
also...

Yes, I'm asking alot.

Dave